Best Travel Camera Under 500
The question I get asked most often by my non-photographer friends is, “What are the best travel cameras under 500?” They don’t know an f-stop from an ISO and think more mega pixels equals more mega! They just want the best bang for their buck and some nice looking pictures at the end of it.
This list includes 23 of ‘The Best DSLR/SLR, Mirrorless and Point and Shot travel Cameras under $500 ’, has been updated for 2017, and is meant for the average non-camera enthusiast who has little to no photography knowledge. I’ve tried to write it in a way that’s easy to understand, and will hopefully serve as a useful guide to the cameras I would recommend to my friends.
For those of you who already know a lot about cameras and photography, please bear with me – I’ve dumbed down my recommendations a lot in the hope that the information is easy to digest for everyone.
Also, remember that we’re dealing with the best digital camera under $500 here, so the points below are relevant in this price category only.
Amazon Best selling list
- 24 MP APS-C CMOS sensor and Focus Sensitivity Range :EV 0 to EV 20 (at ISO 100 equivalent with F2.8 lens attached)
- ISO 100-25600 (expandable to 51200). Lens compatibility- Sony E-mount lenses
- Hybrid AF with 179-point focal plane phase-detection and 25 contrast detect points
- Up to 11 FPS continious shooting
- 3-inch tilting LCD with 921,000 dots
- Advanced 24.2MP BSI Full-frame Image Sensor w/ 1.8X readout speed*Advanced 24.2MP Back-Illuminated 35mm Full-frame Image Sensor* Sony test conditions. Compare to the α7 II
- 15-stop dynamic range, 14-bit uncompressed RAW, ISO 50 to 204,800
- Up to 10fps Silent or Mechanical Shutter with AE/AF tracking
- 693 phase-detection / 425 contrast AF points w/ 93% image coverage
- Eye-AF with AF-C; Direct AF point 4-way multi-selector; touch AF
- 42.4 MP back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor with gapless on-chip lens design
- New front-end LSI and updated BIONZ X processing-engine for maximum processing speed
- Advanced Hybrid AF system with 399 focal-plan phase-detection AF points cover 68% of the image Plane and 425 contrast AF points covering 47% of the image area
- 10 fps with continuous and accurate AF/AE in either mechanical or silent shudder mode
- Dual SD media card Slots
- 24.2MP APS-C Exmor sensor w/ advanced processing up to ISO 51.200
- Wide 425 phase detection AF points, Fast 0.05 sec. AF acquisition
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization steadies every lens. Silent Shooting
- 11fps continuous shooting to 269 frames at 24.2MP w/ AE/AF tracking
- 4K movie w/ 2.4x oversampling4, full pixel readout, no pixel binning
- World's fastest Auto Focus speed (0.05 sec.)
- 24.2 MP APS-C Exmor CMOS sensor w/ accelerated readout
- Up to 11fps continuous shooting w/Auto Focus and Exposure
- Internal UHD 4K30 & 1080p120 Recording and viewfinder type is XGA OLED, 1.0 cm (0.39 type) electronic viewfinder (colour)
- Weather-Sealed Magnesium Alloy Body
- 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III APS-C sensor with no low-pass filter and X-Processor Pro
- 5.0Fps Live-view shooting, start-up time of 0.4sec., shutter time lag of 0.050sec. And shooting Interval of 0.25sec
- 3.0" tilting Touchscreen panel for operation at almost any angle
- 4K video using the x series' famous film Simulation effects (including ACROS). you can output recorded video to an external monitor via the HDMI port and input audio from an external microphone
- Af-c custom settings for moving subjects.Image stabilizer supported with OIS type lenses
- Built-in 5-Axis image stabilization for sharper images
- 2.3 million dot OLED electronic viewfinder with 0.62X magnification
- Silent mode (disables all shutter sounds)
- 8.5 frames per second burst shooting
- Fast touch auto focus from camera or phone
- 24.3 MP full frame CMOS sensor
- Up to 4 FPS in Speed Priority Continuous shooting
- ISO 100-25600(AUTO ISO 100-6400)
- 1080/60p/24p HD video (AVCHD/MP4)
- 3" tiltable LCD with 921,600 dots
- World's first 5-axis in-body image stabilization in a full-frame camera.
- Use your favorite lenses without blur from camera shake.
- Capture stunning images with full-frame, 24.3MP resolution.
- Fast hybrid AF with phase-detection - 30% faster than a7..Compatible with Sony's E-mount lenses, and others with adaptors.
- Viewfinder Type:0.5-type electronic viewfinder (colour)
- 24 MP APS-C CMOS sensor ISO 100-25600 and Focus Sensitivity Range :EV 0 to EV 20 (at ISO 100 equivalent with F28 lens attached)
- Operating temperature:32-104°F / 0-40°C.Hybrid AF with 179-point focal plane phase-detection and 25 contrast detect points Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC
- Up to 11 FPS continious shooting, Compatible OS:Windows Vista SP2*8, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 81, Mac OS X (v106-v109)
- 3-inch tilting LCD with 921,000 dotsCompatible with Sony E Mount lenses
- OLED electronic viewfinder with 100% coverage and 14 million dots